jeudi 21 janvier 2010

The tenses:

1/The present continuous:


Examples

Uses

Notes

· I am watching TV now.

· He is playing football

· Look! The boys are fighting

We use the present continuous for something happening now. "I am watching TV" means that I am in the middle of doing it.

1/ We form the present continuous in this way: am/ is/ are + verb + ing

· They are building a new bridge.

· They are preparing for the cup final.

The two actions don't take place exactly at the time of speaking, but they are occurring around the time of speaking.

2/ The most important key words with which the present continuous is used are: now, at the moment, Look! Listen! Always.

3/ In general, we don't use continuous tenses with

a- The verb "be"

b- The verbs of feeling: feel, like, dislike, love, hate…

c- The verbs of thinking: believe, think, forget

remember, recall…

So we never say: I am loving you" or "I am forgetting your name". Instead, we have to say: "I love you" and "I've forgotten your name".

· Tom usually goes to work by bicycle, but today he is walking.

We also use the present continuous to talk about an exceptional or temporary action.

· My neighbors are always making noise at night.

· Peter is always arriving to school late

The present continuous is used with "always" to express disapproval, anger, criticism…


2/ The simple present:


Examples

Uses

Notes

· Ann gets up at 7 a.m. everyday

· Bob always goes to work by bus

.

The Browns visit their relatives every weekend.

The three actions are repeated or habitual, i.e. they take place again and again.

1/ The present simple is formed in this way:

I/you/we/they + bare infinitive.

He/she/it + bare infinitive + "es"

e.g: watches/ goes

· I feel dog-tired; I'm not ill.

Here we are talking about a present state (and not action)

2/ When dealing with negatives or questions we must use "do".

We say: Do you work?

(Not "work you?)

He doesn't work. (Not "he works not")

· Spain is in the south-west of Europe

· Water boils at 100° C.

· The sun rises in the east.

These are facts or general truths.

3/ Key words: always, often, usually, sometimes, rarely, never, now, every…


3/ The simple past:


Examples

Uses

Notes

· We dined out last night.

We put the verb "to dine" in the simple past because the action started and finished in the past

1/ We form the simple past by adding "ed" to bare infinitive form of the verb.

e.g. : played/ enjoyed/ arrived. However, some verbs are irregular and have different past forms.

e.g. :leaveà left

runà ran

2/ To form negatives and questions, we use "did" followed by infinitive.

3/ Sometimes, just for emphasis, "do" , "does" and "did" can be used in positive statements.

· I did see you yesterday.

· I do apologize.

· 4/ Key words: yesterday, last, ago, in 2002…

· This morning, I woke up at six. I had a shower. Then I had my breakfast, dressed up and went to work.

Here, we are narrating a series of actions which started and finished in the past.

· Did you go to Paris last weekend?

· Did he leave the party early?

· She didn't enjoy the film.

· They didn't leave the house.


4/ The present perfect:


Examples

Uses

Notes

· I've gone to Paris twice.

· My brother has lived in France

Here we are talking about actions which apparently started and finished in the past, but the time of their happening id not specified.

1/ We form the present perfect with have/ has + the past participle of the verb.

e.g.: has rained

have smoked

2/ With "since" and "for", we often use the present perfect or the present perfect continuous. "For" is always followed by a period of time. However, "since" can be followed by a point of time, a noun or a verb in the simple past.

Examples:

· He has been in a coma for two months now.

· He has been I, a coma since October 20.

· He has been in a coma since the accident.

· He has been in coma since he had a car accident.

3/Key words: since, for, just, already, so far, up to now, yet, ever, never.

(a) My father lived in France in 1984

(b) My father has lived in France since 1984.

In (a) the action started and finished in the past. (My father is no longer living in France). In (b) the action started in the past and continues in the present (My father is still living in France).

· I've washed the car. It's clean now.

· I've just arrived.

The present perfect is also used to give new information or to announce a recent happening.

· I've never visited the USA.

· The plane hasn't landed yet.

We also use the present perfect with "never" and "yet" to say that we have never done something or that an action hasn't happened yet.

· It has rained 3 times this week. (it may rain again)

· The students have had 5 tests this term. (They may have another test)

The present perfect is used with today/ this morning / this week/ this month... to show that the action is not finished at the time of speaking.

5/The present perfect continuous:


Examples

Uses

Notes

a- How long have you been waiting for the bus?

b- We have been waiting for half an hour.

c- Look at those paddles! It has been raining cats and dogs.

It is used to ask or to say how long something has been happening. The action began in the past and is still happening or has just stopped.

1/ Form:

Have/ has + been + verb + ing

2/ Key words: since, for.


6/The past continuous:


Examples

Uses

Notes

· Last night I was at home and watched TV. I began watching at 9 and finished at 11

· What was I doing at 10?

· I was watching TV.

" I was watching TV" means that I was in the middle of watching TV. I had started watching TV but I hadn't finished.

1/ Form:

Was/ were/ + verb + ing

2/ Key words: when, while, as last night at 10 o'clock etc…

· Last night, I started watching TV at 9. At 9.30 my uncle came to visit us.

· Last night, when I was watching TV, my uncle came to visit us.

We have a first action in progress in the past and it was interrupted by a second action still in the past.

· This morning during the break, some students were having snacks. Others were chatting. Some other students were reviewing their lessons…

Here we are describing a past scene.


7/The past perfect:


Examples

Uses

Notes

· From 1992 to 1995, my father worked as a shop assistant. In 1996, he started working as a taxi driver.

· My father had worked as a shop assistant before he became a taxi driver.

Both actions took place in the past. However, the first action started and finished before the second action began.

1/ Form:

Had + past participle

e.g.: Had known

had worked

2/ Key words: just, already, before, after, since, until…, by …

· When I came back home last night, everyone had already been in bed.

We use the past perfect with "already" to say that an action happened before another.

· John told me he had seen you the week before.

Here, we are reporting a past action.


8/The past perfect continuous:


Examples

Uses

Notes

· Mr. Brown had been working for a car company for 7 years before he decided to start his own business

The past perfect continuous is used to say how long something had been happening before something else happened.

1/ Form:

Had been + verb + ing.

2/ Key words: before, after, since, for.


9/The future:

There are different ways to express the future:

a- Will + bare infinitive (simple future):


Examples

Uses

Notes

· I've forgotten my wallet at home. I will go and bring it.

· Did you do your homework?

No, I will do it this afternoon.

·

When e decide to do something at the time of speaking, we use "will"

1/ Form:

Will + bare infinitive.

2/ Key words: tomorrow, tonight, next…, in 2050…


b- be going to:


Examples

Uses

Notes

(a)

· Can you post this letter for me?

· So I will have to drive to the town center, won't I?

(b)

· Can you post this letter for me?

· O.K. I'm going to drive to town center.

In (a) I decided to go to the town center at the moment of speaking, but in (b) I have already decided to go to town center.

1/Form:

Be going to + bare infinitive

2/ "Be going to" can be used with all verbs except "go" and "come". So, we never say: "He's going to go…" or "He's going to come…"

· It's terribly cold. It's going to snow.

We also use "be going to" to predict what will happen in the future. We are certain about what will happen because of the situation in the present.


c-Present tenses:


Examples

Uses

Notes

· What are you doing at the weekend?

· Sam is going to the stadium.

· Bob is traveling to Australia next summer.

The present continuous is used to talk about what we have already arranged to do.

1/ Here we must use expressions with a future meaning: next summer/ next month/ In 2015

· Peter is traveling to London tomorrow. His wife asks him about the departure time:

· "what time does the train leave?"

· The train leaves at 9 o'clock."

The present simple with a future meaning is used when we talk about time tables, schedules etc…

2/ Note that just after "when, if, after, before, till, until" and "as soon as" we never use the simple future tense (will + bare infinitive); to indicate future, we use the simple present.

Examples:

· We won't leave until he arrives

· When I see you tomorrow, I will tell you the whole story.


d- Will be+ V + ing (Future continuous):


Examples

Use

Note

· Don't phone me between 7 and 8. I'll be having dinner then.

· At 9 o'clock tomorrow, I'll be driving to Dublin.

The future continuous is used here to talk about actions that will be in progress at a precise time in the future.

Key words:

Tonight at 10 o'clock, (or any precise future time).


e-Will have + past participle (future perfect):


Examples

Uses

Notes

· We're late. The film will already have started by the time we get to the cinema.

· We will have been married for 25 years by next July.

Here, we are talking about something that will be already complete at a precise time in the future.

Key words:

By January, 20 (by + a future time).



Exercice1: Put the bracketed verbs in the right tense (simple resent – present continuous).

This is Rosie and her family's house. They (live)________ in a small town near Brighton. Rosie (live)________ with her mum, her dad and her two brothers Tom and Toni. They (have)________ a big back garden with some trees. Rosie (like)________ helping her mum with the garden. Today is Saturday. At the moment, she (clean)________ and (tidy)________ her bedroom, and her brothers (cook)________ breakfast in the kitchen. They (like)________ bacon and eggs and every week they (cook)________ breakfast for the family. This afternoon, Tom and Toni (drive)________ to Brighton to go to the cinema and Rosie (dance)________ at the club with her friends.

Every Saturday afternoon, Rosie's mum (visit)________ Aunt Lisa and (not/come)________ back home for lunch. Rosie's dad usually (stay)________ at home and (watch)________ a video. At the moment, he (talk)________ on the phone.


Exercise 2: Put the bracketed words in the right tense: (simple past/ past continuous).

I (have)__________a bath yesterday when the phone (start)__________ringing. "That must be my mother", I (think)__________. The cats were sitting at the top of the stairs. I (not/see)_________ them, so I tripped over them and I (fall)_________. At the bottom of the stairs I (get)__________up. My right leg (hurt)__________ more than my head. The phone (still/ring)__________At last I (answer)__________it. It (be)__________ my mother. "Hello, dear, is everything all right?" she (say)__________.


Exercise 3: Underline the best alternative:

Carol Kennedy (played/was playing) a card game with her nephew on the train when she (head/was hearing) a loud noise and (saw/ was seeing) the car in the front of them fall away from the tracks. "I (didn't know/ was not knowing) what (happened/was happening), Mrs. Kennedy said. An instant later, their own car (crashed/was crashing) to the side, with bags and books flying across the passengers. Mrs. Kennedy, who (wore/was wearing) sandals, (saw/ was seeing) her feet covered with dust and ash. On the lower level, said her nephew, "there was an elderly woman who (bled/was bleeding) pretty bad". Alma Bailey, a retired nurse who (traveled/was traveling) home, (heard/was hearing) the conductor announce the Washington stop when she (felt/was feeling) the train hit a bump that (threw/ was throwing) her backward. She couldn't remember what happened afterwards. When she (regained/ was regaining) her consciousness, she was surprised to find herself in hospital.


Exercise 4: Put the bracketed words in the right tense:

Swanky Khanyle (live)_________with his wife and two young daughters in Johannesburg. He is 33 and (work)________for four years as a machine operator in a plastics factory. His salary, paid to him on a weekly basis, (not/allow)__________him to buy the cheapest house for sale in the town, so he lives in a room built in his parents' backyard. Swanky (drop)__________out of school because he (not/pass)__________his exam, which (usually/take)__________at the age of 18 or 19. He (blame)__________the lack of school facilities for his failure.


Exercise 5: Underline the best alternative:

Thirty-four-year –old Dianne Grey (is/was/has been) a successful doctor in the south of England, but for the last eight months she (lives/lived/ has lived) in Angola, working for an organization called "Doctors Without Frontiers" that (is providing/provides/provided) emergency health care in several African countries. Dianne (is/was/has been) a GP in Horsham, Surrey. She had a good career ahead of her and a comfortable life, but she (begins/is beginning/began) to find her job rather boring. She says: "I (treat/am treating/ was treating) patients with routine medical problems and felt a need to do something more important".

The organization she (works/will work/worked) for (sent/has sent/ was sending) medical teams and equipment to Angola since 1986. Various armies (fight/fought/have fought) each other in the area for decades, and standards of health care (grow/was growing/ have grown) worse and worse. Outside the cities, there aren't enough hospitals, clinics, doctors, or nurses. At first, Dianne (is shocked/was shocked/has been shocked) but she worked hard to improve conditions there. During her stay in Angola, she (is treating/has treated/will treat) thousands of patients. "Working here (was/has been/will be) a very meaningful experience", she says. "I (am never feeling/ never feel/ have never felt) so useful before". She (has left/will leave/is going to leave) Angola next month, but she (already decides/ already decided/ has already decided) to return to Africa as soon as possible.


Exercise 6: Put the bracketed words in the right tense.

The early morning air was cold and mild as Ted Wilson walked along the beach. He (want)__________to be completely alone to think about his problem. Since he (lose)__________his job, his life (seem)__________to be full of problems. Walking to the far end of the beach, Ted (be)__________so deep in thought that he (not/notice)__________the dark clouds which (gather)__________overhead. When the first heavy drops (begin) __________to fall, her (look)__________up in surprise and hurried back towards his car. The soft dry sand of the beach slowed him down, so he (start)__________running on the hard sand at the water's edge. Before he (go)__________two miles, though, he suddenly (feel)__________himself sinking into the sand. Within seconds, he had sunk in up to his waist. He realized, to his horror, that he (step)__________into quicksand.


Exercise 7: Put the bracketed verbs in the right tense:

Witnesses of the New York air crash reported that they (hear)__________an explosion moment before the plane (come)__________down. One told Fox News there (be)__________ "lots of bodies" lying in the street near the Emergency Service Exclusion Zone while another said he (think)__________he (see) __________an engine on the American Airlines Airbus A 300 blow up. Another told CNN that she (hear)__________a loud explosion and (report)__________seeing pieces of "silvery metal" falling from the sky.

Eddie Niedes said he (see)__________ an engine on the wing blow up seconds before the plane (plunge)_________to the ground. He added: "it (fly)__________fine with no problems. It (seem)_________to be on a normal flight. Then, the engine on the right side (blow)__________up and it went straight down into a nosedive".


Exercise 8: The underlined verbs are not in the right tense; correct them in the table below:

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I (1) am just reading the "where are they now?" page of this year's college magazine. I (2) wrote with some news as you ask. The last few years were very interesting for me. When I (3) have left college, I (4) am starting work with ICI, but I only stayed there for a year. I (5) have several temporary jobs and then I got a job with a record company in London. I (6) was here for a year now. I (7) buy a flat in Chelsea which is not very big, but (8) had a magnificent view. I (9) am in the flat since September.


Correction

1-………………………………………

6-……………………………………….

2-………………………………………

7-……………………………………….

3-………………………………………

8-……………………………………….

4-………………………………………

9-……………………………………….

5-………………………………………


Exercise 9: Put the bracketed words in the right tense:

Peter and Anna were on holiday in Italy. They wanted money. So they (go)__________to the bank. It (be)__________very busy, so they (must)__________wait for a long time. They (stand)__________near the widow when they (see)__________three men get out of a car. They (wear)__________black hats. Peter and Anna (frighten)__________and (lie)__________on the floor and waited. The robbers (take)__________a lot of money and (run)__________outside. They (get)__________in their car. When the police (arrive)__________, the car (drive/already)__________away.

Exercise 10: Put the verbs in the right tense.

Next week, I am going on holiday with a friend. We (fly)__________to Los Angeles with British Airways. I usually (get)__________to the airport by underground, but this time the flight is quite early in the morning, so we (share)__________ a taxi. First, it is going to his house and then he (pick)__________me up on the way. The flight to New York (take)__________eight hours, then, we (change)__________planes and fly to Los Angeles. We (stay)__________there for two weeks, then it's home again.


Key:


Exercice1: Put the bracketed verbs in the right tense (simple resent – present continuous).

This is Rosie and her family's house. They live in a small town near Brighton. Rosie lives with her mum, her dad and her two brothers Tom and Toni. They have a big back garden with some trees. Rosie likes helping her mum with the garden. Today is Saturday. At the moment, she is cleaning and tidying her bedroom, and her brothers are cooking breakfast in the kitchen. They like bacon and eggs and every week they cook breakfast for the family. This afternoon, Tom and Toni are driving to Brighton to go to the cinema and Rosie is dancing at the club with her friends.

Every Saturday afternoon, Rosie's mum visits Aunt Lisa and doesn't come back home for lunch. Rosie's dad usually stays at home and watches a video. At the moment, he is talking on the phone.

Exercise 2: Put the bracketed words in the right tense: (simple past/ past continuous).

I was having a bath yesterday when the phone started ringing. "That must be my mother", I thought As I was getting out of the bath, I trod on my watch and broke it. The phone was still ringing. I ran out of the bathroom and hit my head on the door. It hurt terribly and I wanted to sit down for a moment, but the phone was still ringing. "Please wait a minute, mother", I thought. The cats were sitting at the top of the stairs. I didn't see them, so I tripped over them and I fell. At the bottom of the stairs I got up. My right leg hurt more than my head. The phone was still ringing. At last I answered it. It was my mother. "Hello, dear, is everything all right?" she said.

Exercise 3: Underline the best alternative:

Carol Kennedy (played/was playing) a card game with her nephew on the train when she (head/was hearing) a loud noise and (saw/ was seeing) the car in the front of them fall away from the tracks. "I (didn't know/ was not knowing) what (happened/was happening), Mrs. Kennedy said. An instant later, their own car (crashed/was crashing) to the side, with bags and books flying across the passengers. Mrs. Kennedy, who (wore/was wearing) sandals, (saw/ was seeing) her feet covered with dust and ash. On the lower level, said her nephew, "there was an elderly woman who (bled/was bleeding) pretty bad". Alma Bailey, a retired nurse who (traveled/was traveling) home, (heard/was hearing) the conductor announce the Washington stop when she (felt/was feeling) the train hit a bump that (threw/ was throwing) her backward. She couldn't remember what happened afterwards. When she (regained/ was regaining) her consciousness, she was surprised to find herself in hospital.

Exercise 4: Put the bracketed words in the right tense:

Swanky Khanyle lives with his wife and two young daughters in Johannesburg. He is 33 and has worked for four years as a machine operator in a plastics factory. His salary, paid to him on a weekly basis, doesn't allow him to buy the cheapest house for sale in the town, so he lives in a room built in his parents' backyard. Swanky dropped out of school because he didn't pass his exam, which is usually taken at the age of 18 or 19. He blames the lack of school facilities for his failure.

Exercise 5: Underline the best alternative:

Thirty-four-year –old Dianne Grey (is/was/has been) a successful doctor in the south of England, but for the last eight months she (lives/lived/ has lived) in Angola, working for an organization called "Doctors Without Frontiers" that (is providing/provides/provided) emergency health care in several African countries. Dianne (is/was/has been) a GP in Horsham, Surrey. She had a good career ahead of her and a comfortable life, but she (begins/is beginning/began) to find her job rather boring. She says: "I (treat/am treating/ was treating) patients with routine medical problems and felt a need to do something more important".

The organization she (works/will work/worked) for (sent/has sent/ was sending) medical teams and equipment to Angola since 1986. Various armies (fight/fought/have fought) each other in the area for decades, and standards of health care (grow/was growing/ have grown) worse and worse. Outside the cities, there aren't enough hospitals, clinics, doctors, or nurses. At first, Dianne (is shocked/was shocked/has been shocked) but she worked hard to improve conditions there. During her stay in Angola, she (is treating/has treated/will treat) thousands of patients. "Working here (was/has been/will be) a very meaningful experience", she says. "I (am never feeling/ never feel/ have never felt) so useful before". She (has left/will leave/is going to leave) Angola next month, but she (already decides/ already decided/ has already decided) to return to Africa as soon as possible.

Exercise 6: Put the bracketed words in the right tense.

The early morning air was cold and mild as Ted Wilson walked along the beach. He wanted to be completely alone to think about his problem. Since he lost his job, his life seemed to be full of problems. Walking to the far end of the beach, Ted was so deep in thought that he didn't notice the dark clouds which were gathering overhead. When the first heavy drops began to fall, her looked up in surprise and hurried back towards his car. The soft dry sand of the beach slowed him down, so he started running on the hard sand at the water's edge. Before he went two miles, though, he suddenly felt himself sinking into the sand. Within seconds, he had sunk in up to his waist. He realized, to his horror, that he stepped into quicksand.

Exercise 7: Put the bracketed verbs in the right tense:

Witnesses of the New York air crash reported that they had heard an explosion moment before the plane came down. One told Fox News there had been "lots of bodies" lying in the street near the Emergency Service Exclusion Zone while another said he thought he had seen an engine on the American Airlines Airbus A 300 blow up. Another told CNN that she had heard a loud explosion and reported seeing pieces of "silvery metal" falling from the sky.

Eddie Niedes said he had seen an engine on the wing blow up seconds before the plane plunged to the ground. He added: "it was flying fine with no problems. It seemed to be on a normal flight. Then, the engine on the right side blew up and it went straight down into a nosedive".

Exercise 8: The underlined verbs are not in the right tense; correct them in the table below:

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I (1) am just reading the "where are they now?" page of this year's college magazine. I (2) wrote with some news as you ask. The last few years were very interesting for me. When I (3) have left college, I (4) am starting work with ICI, but I only stayed there for a year. I (5) have several temporary jobs and then I got a job with a record company in London. I (6) was here for a year now. I (7) buy a flat in Chelsea which is not very big, but (8) had a magnificent view. I (9) am in the flat since September.


Correction

1- have just read

6- have been

2- am writing

7- bought

3- left

8- has

4- started

9- have been

5- had


Exercise 9: Put the bracketed words in the right tense:

Peter and Anna were on holiday in Italy. They wanted money. So they went to the bank. It was very busy, so they had to wait for a long time. They were standing near the widow when they saw three men get out of a car. They were wearing black hats. Peter and Anna were frightened and lay on the floor and waited. The robbers took a lot of money and ran outside. They got in their car. When the police arrived, the car had already driven away.

Exercise 10: Put the verbs in the right tense.

Next week, I am going on holiday with a friend. We (are flying to Los Angeles with British Airways. I usually get to the airport by underground, but this time the flight is quite early in the morning, so we are sharing a taxi. First, it is going to his house and then he is picking me up on the way. The flight to New York takes eight hours, then, we change planes and fly to Los Angeles. We are staying there for two weeks, then it's home again.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire